SYSTEM TESTING is a level of software testing where a complete and integrated software is tested. The purpose of this test is to evaluate the system’s compliance with the specified requirements.
- system testing: The process of testing an integrated system to verify that it meets specified requirements.
During the process of manufacturing a ballpoint pen, the cap, the body, the tail, the ink cartridge and the ballpoint are produced separately and unit tested separately. When two or more units are ready, they are assembled and Integration Testing is performed. When the complete pen is integrated, System Testing is performed.
- System Test Plan [Prepare >> Review >> Rework >> Baseline]
- System Test Cases/ Test Scripts/ Test Data [Prepare >> Review >> Rework >> Baseline]
- System Test [Execute >> Re-execute]
When is it performed?
Who performs it?
Normally, independent software testers perform System Testing.
System Testing is the most comprehensive level of testing and many types of tests are performed. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Smoke Testing to ensure that the most important functions work and to decide whether the build is fit for further testing.
- Functional Testing to ensure that features work as per the functional requirements.
- Regression Testing to ensure that changes (enhancements or defect fixes) to the software have not adversely affected it.
- Usability Testing to determine if the system is easily usable from an end-user’s perspective.
- Performance Testing to determine how the system performs in terms of responsiveness and stability under a certain load.
- Security Testing to uncover vulnerabilities of the system and determine that its data and resources are protected from possible intruders.
- Compliance Testing to determine the compliance of the system with internal or external standards.
Since System Testing involves testing the software as a whole, the goal should be to make the test environment as close to the production environment as possible. Else, you will be hurled with production defects that the sophisticated you failed to catch whereas the simple end-users instantly found. What an embarrassment!
Why not get hold of some ‘pocket money’?
Learn about BUG BOUNTY programs and EARN DOLLARS (From $50 to $1,000,000).
Last Updated on September 13, 2020 by STF